Graduation activities for eight (8) phase one groups after completion of 14 training sessions and market visits. This was conducted from 5th Oct to 14th October, 2021.Only 169farmers (92 Females and 77Males) graduated out of 189 farmers (108 Females and 81 Males). The remaining 20 farmers failed to graduate due to poor attendance and thus failed to complete all sessions. Each group held its own graduation ceremony in their villages. During the graduation ceremonies, the local leaders attended
|Group||Village||Female||Male||Number of farmers graduated||Total number of farmer registered at the start||Local leaders who attended the graduation events|
N:B Tupendane and Uchumi groups organized graduation ceremony together on the same day, while Maendeleo and Faraja also did the same .
During the graduation each group was issued with a weighing scale. This was to enhance proper measuring of farmers’ produce during the selling. Eight weighing scales were distributed to group’s one scale for each group, in all the graduation ceremonies
General Observations during FMS graduation
- A total of 169 farmers(92 Females and 77 Male) graduated and awarded certificate and FMS T-shirts
- Farmers were delighted to received weighting scales during graduation. Hence they are capable of measuring their produces using standard measurement before taking produces to markets places.
- During FMS graduation farmers groups prepared a role plays which summarize many sessions captured during the FMS trainings, therefore audience got a message and were overwhelmed by the role plays.
- The organization of the graduation activities was done by farmers themselves hence it showed extent of farmer’s empowerment in FMS trainings.
Lessons learned during FMS graduation
- Farmers were excited to use standard measurement of weigh before taking their produces to markets.
- Farmers understood better to produce the crops according to market needs.
- The self confidence and bargaining power of farmers enhanced
- Farmers understood better the use of seasonal /market calendar
- Farmers are starting searching for new markets of their produces
- The engagement of local leaders and farmers is vital for project achievements and sustainability. In our case the local leaders are overwhelmed by the project approach which emphasized on the farmers’ involvement.